rel='preconnect'/> Petals of Pause: Two Doses of Unwanted Energy: Standing Firm on Personal Boundaries

Two Doses of Unwanted Energy: Standing Firm on Personal Boundaries

 

Two Doses of Unwanted Energy


A store employee, a light-complexioned young woman in a dark blue polo uniform and lanyard, holds a scanner and spray bottle in Aisle 7 near cleaning supplies while conversing with a male customer carrying a wire basket. In the background, another man carrying a shopping bag walks away toward the store's glass entrance doors.


By Adika A. Toussaint / HumbleLove

The shift was almost over,

the afternoon sun low and heavy on the tile,

when the first breeze of audacity walked in—

presumptuous words wrapped in a careless smirk,

asking for things where the sun doesn't shine.

I offered no ground, no flicker of grace,

just a steady voice that sent the silence back:

Hold your phone.


Before the doors could finally latch,

a second shadow crossed the frame.

"I have something for you," came the trade,

"but what do I get in return?"

Because the world insists on price tags,

on transactional smiles and stolen peace.


I stood behind my boundary—

unshaken, unbothered, and unbroken.


Two doses of noise in a single day,

two waves crashing against a quiet shore.

They brought their entitlement to my counter,

but left empty-handed—

because my peace is not for bargain,

and my space is mine to keep.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your thoughts!

What moments of stillness or beauty did this poem inspire in you?
Share your reflections below.